Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Surgery Day Today

Thanks everyone for all of the messages of encouragement on my last post. I feel today, more than I did a few days ago, like we're going to be okay. Your support means a lot; just a kudos or a hang in there really helps.

(And Rose, wow... I can't even... you're astonishing.)

This morning we got up early and let Thumper run around and eat. He's always thrilled when he gets out of the cage early in the morning. The medicine has been a giant help; the swelling is down and he doesn't seem to be in as much pain. He's actually able to eat normally now--his appetite is back, which is nice, because he was down from 6 to 4 pounds!--and he's very playful and mischievous again. He wasn't thrilled to be going back to the vet so soon, especially since we had to drop him off and leave him there, which always makes me feel a little bad. (We adopted him five years ago at Petco, and his previous owners neglected him--I always worry that he thinks we're abandoning him, too.) They say they'll be done around 3 or 4 this afternoon, so I'm not letting it get to me. I trust our vet (we always go to this office to get Thumper's claws trimmed), and I'm sure he'll be fine. It's just weird not having him at home for the first time in half a decade.

The Care Credit payments will be lower, so we should have it paid off in a month or two. Then we can move on to the tires we need and Becca's glasses (they broke, but thankfully she has eyecare insurance), and relax a little bit more. I'm just glad Thumper's going to be alright and he won't be hurting anymore. It's been nice just getting the medicine in him and seeing him in a better mood--at least when we're not actually giving him the medicine, which has to go in his mouth. To do it, we have to pick him up, cradle him on his back like a baby, and get those baby syringes in his mouth so he can suck them back. He hates being picked up--I don't know what his original family did to him--and he kicks and squirms. Today he actually drew blood on my wrists. Just a couple of long-since-closed puncture wounds, but it stings when it happens. He'll be getting the medicine for another week or so, twice a day, so he'll be thrilled about that...

Oh, and it's snowing and icy today... I'm really glad Becca's been so understanding about my phobias. I've been doing okay with her driving as long as I don't watch the road. I knew I was going to have to tough it out at some point, so it might as well have been today, because we're not going to delay Thumper's surgery. I did better than I thought I would, and I guess I'll do it again this afternoon so we can bring our little guy home.

I am wiped out, though. But I'm feeling really good at the same time.

EDIT 11:20 AM: Vet called, and Thumper is out of surgery. He's sleeping normally and came through it fine; his teeth are lining up normally, and they didn't have to pull any of them, which was a concern this morning. They're going to call when he's awake and we can come pick him up.

Weight lifted.

EDIT 4:23 PM: Thumper's home. He's still a little dopey from the anesthetic, but he's going to be fine. Very, very glad.

Now on to the next thing...

8 comments:

Jaquandor said...

I'm glad the little guy is on the mend!

BTW, if you don't mind a small suggestion, as a person who has lived his entire life in the presence of multiple cats at all times, I've had to administer medicine in that exact way many a time. A big, thick towel is your friend here -- you need to put the towel over your bunny and swaddle him up tightly within it, leaving only his head exposed so that Person #2 can stick the eyedropper down his gullet. This CAN be damaging to towels, obviously, so don't use your best towels, and if you only have nice towels, it might not be a bad idea to stop off at a Goodwill or a place like that and just pick up a towel or two for a buck that you don't mind getting messed up. Better that than shedding your own blood because your critter refuses to recognize the causal chain between "eyedropper in the gullet" and "feeling better"!

Drake said...

Yay for Thumper, i'm glad he's going to ok. :)

SamuraiFrog said...

Jaquandor: That's a good idea; we gave him a little bath not too long ago (you can't submerge bunnies, so we just put a little water in the tub and stand him in there--he hates it, naturally), and swaddling him helped. I'll try that tonight.

Drake: Thanks! He's already eating some Cheerios, so he's on the mend.

Devilham said...

yay Thumper! Glad to hear your little guy is on the mend!

Daskaea said...

*hugs*

Mob said...

SO glad to read that your rabbit is home safely, I know how nerve-wracking pet illnesses can be.
:-)

Some Guy said...

Great news! I'm glad everything went smoothly, SF.

Phillip A. Ellis said...

*hugs*

Yay, Thumper!

It's great to hear the love and the tenderness in your voice when you write about Thumper, and I am proud to know that you're man enough to care openly for your pets and your family in a public forum. You give me the strength to keep trying, and to keep trying to be as open and honest a person as I can. You are one of my heroes.