Saturday, January 29, 2011

Elmo and the Magic of the Muppets

This is the magic of the Muppets right here. Kevin Clash just makes this pregnant woman's day at the Sundance Film Festival by putting on the Elmo puppet and saying hello to her. And for just that moment, she doesn't even notice the 50 year-old man crouched at her feet. For that moment, Elmo is real and she's overjoyed to meet him. That's quite a spell the Muppets (and the Muppeteers) can weave.



You know, I used to be one of the die hard Elmo-haters. I found him irritating, and it didn't help that I worked retail when Tickle Me Elmo was the big Christmas toy. I can say that I didn't like the way Elmo took over Sesame Street, but let's be honest, I haven't made it a point to sit and watch Sesame Street since I was in single digits. I just didn't like the idea that my beloved "Ses," as I called it when I was a very little kid ("Ernie" was actually my first word), had changed at all. It's easy to be precious about how much better stuff supposedly was when you were a kid. But jeez, by the time I was born, Sesame Street was in its seventh season. It's not like I owned the damn thing or was even among the original viewers. It's such a lame attitude to hold onto.

Anyway, I'm cool with Elmo. I acknowledge him, without any grudge, as part of the Muppet establishment. And Kevin Clash is just such a sweet guy.

Besides, I despise Abby Cadabby so much more...

1 comment:

Kal said...

The relationship between Elmo and Ricky Gervais produced some awesome videos. I hope you have seen them. I too have come around to loving Elmo. He is the son Grover never had but should of.