Saturday, December 04, 2010

Ron Santo 1940-2010

By the time I was born, Ron Santo was already finished playing. He retired from Major League Baseball two years before I was born. Still, Santo was a Chicago institution, even for someone like me, who isn't much of a sports fan.

The reason I wanted to mark the passing of Ron Santo is my grandfather.

My Grandpa Davis, who died in 1995, loved the Cubs. Iowa doesn't have an MLB team, and it used to be that a lot of Iowans--especially my Grandpa--thought of the Chicago's second team as their team. So I used to watch games, and even went to Wrigley Field to see some games, with my Grandpa. So I can't hear that Ron Santo has died without memories of my old man's old man coming up. Nice memories. Great memories.

I'm sorry that Santo, who endured so much, has passed away. And I miss my Grandpa, too.

Thanks for the joy you brought him, sir.

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

Whereas I DO remember Ron Santo, quite fondly, who, in the era of Ernie Banks and Billy Williams, played with the bad and good-but-not-quite good enough teams of the 1960s, my baseball coming of age.