Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My 10 Favorite Movie Posters of 2010

10. 127 Hours. Literally stuck between a rock and a hard place. You can just feel the tension on this thing. I hope the movie is as good.

9. Machete. Mmmm... sacrilicious...

8. You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger. We're starting to see a return of the real design-oriented, Saul Bass type posters. I really enjoy it; it's flourished for a few years online in fan redesigns, so someone finally figured it out.

7. I Love You, Phillip Morris. A marvelously cheeky image that really captures the playful spirit of the film.

6. Let Me In. Maybe it does belabor the whole dark-fairy-tale-as-allegory-for-sexuality thing, but I like the contrast of the light and dark here.

5. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. It looks like a piece of candy that would make your head euphoric.

4. Buried. Another terrific design. Look at those lines, creating a sense of depth and perspective. Honestly, I don't even know what this movie is, but the poster is brilliant.

3. How to Train Your Dragon. Two worlds meeting. This is like a dream.

2. The Runaways. A ripe, dripping cherry with a lit fuse, on a background that suggests a worn album cover. I can't think of a single image that could more perfectly define what the Runaways were all about. God, I wish this movie had been better.

1. Black Swan. I know, it's really four posters, but look how great they are. They're like old Penguin novel covers. I'm sure this is something that will end up getting run into the ground, but for now, I'm really enjoying them. Fantastic.

Previously: 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006

8 comments:

Nik said...

Ah, very cool list, I love spotlighting good movie posters. I'd add The Social Network poster to the list, a very striking design.

Devilham said...

"Like old Penguin novel covers", seriously, they look exactly like it.....like books I would find and read in my jr. high library!

Kal said...

A great post. I love looking at movie posters. 'Buried' is that Ryan Reynolds one where he is a civilain contracter in Iraq who gets kidnapped and buried underground for the entire movie with only his cellphone and a few other items. I came and went. I never saw it. The poster though reminded me of the one for 'Vertigo' at first. That 'Dragon one is gorgeous. I would love a full sized one framed on my walls.

Tallulah Morehead said...

BURIED got great reviews, but who would want to see such a confined, claustrophobic movie?

The poster reminded me of the poster for VERTIGO, though Vertigo used spirals rather than rectangles. Google "Vertigo Poster" and you'll see what I mean.

SamuraiFrog said...

Nik: The Social Network is a poster I got a little sick of, simply because it became an internet meme. So it had some points there. It was on my shortlist, but ended up coming in around number 12.

Devilham: Aren't they great? I love that kind of design!

Kal: Yeah, I don't even remember that. I'd love to have that Dragon poster, too!

Tallulah: I knew it reminded me of something! Vertigo is one of the classic movie posters; I used to have it on VHS (when I still had a VCR), and I tended to display the tape so I could see the front cover, because the image was so great.

Tallulah Morehead said...

Since I have 15 years worth of collected VHS tapes, I keep two working VCRs around the house. I have that VHS Vertigo also.

And I can't throw out my VHS tape of Psycho, because Janet Leigh signed the label on the cassette!

Sleestak said...

The hourglass shape of 127 Hours is what did it for em.

Jay Amabile said...

I love those Black Swan posters. There needs to be more of these classy and abstract movie posters, they are more artsy this way and they are easier to display and not get made fun of.