Saturday, December 11, 2010

31 Days of Christmas in One

Caffeinated Joe has been doing the 31 Days of Christmas. It's supposed to be a daily challenge, but I decided to do it all at once. I really wanted to do a Christmas meme this year. With scattered, unrelated Christmas pics throughout.



1. Favorite Tradition
I don't really have one anymore; Christmas can be rough here, with being pulled to spend the day at several places, and Becca being so overworked and stressed out from it (her hours go up to 60 a week in December). I like to put up our four-foot tree and listen to Christmas music. We have the things we like to watch every year, too. And I love it when custard nog starts coming out...

2. Favorite Elf
Huh. I go right to Tolkien. Christmas elf? I'm honestly not sure I like any of them all that much.

3. Santa or Mrs. Claus
Santa! My favorite Santa? Probably still Edmund Gwenn in A Miracle on 34th Street.

4: Favorite Reindeer
None of them really have much of a personality, do they? I like the name Blitzen, though.

5. Favorite Holiday Snack
The aforementioned custard nog, which is nice and smooth in a glass, zippy in a cup of coffee, and heavenly as a batter for french toast. It's become mine and Becca's thing, since we don't generally make Christmas cookies. We would if we had more time together during the lead-up to Christmas, I think--we've done it in the past.



6. Favorite Decoration
My tree-topper. I've had it up here before; it's Santa Claus, draped in white and gold with presents under his arm, looking like Odin atop the roof of the trees.

7. Favorite Christmas Movie
It's hard to pick just one. My yearly viewing: Eloise at the Plaza and Eloise at Christmastime; The Muppet Christmas Carol; the version of A Christmas Carol with Patrick Stewart; Richard Williams' animated version of A Christmas Carol; the original Miracle on 34th Street; A Christmas Story (it's essential to avoid TNT's 24 hour marathon in order for me to still enjoy the movie); It's a Wonderful Life; Love Actually; Mickey's Christmas Carol.



8. Favorite Christmas Song
I could fill an entire entry with Christmas songs I love. I'll pick my absolute favorite, though, which is Nat King Cole's version of "O Holy Night."

There's no spot for Christmas albums. My favorite is A Christmas Gift for You from Phil Spector.

9. Favorite Christmas TV Special
A Charlie Brown Christmas.



10. Favorite Thing To Wear
I don't have any special Christmas clothing.

11. Favorite Christmas Book
I like to read A Christmas Carol every year. I'll be doing that soon.

12. Favorite Gift You Ever Got
One year, it snowed pretty badly, and I couldn't get out anywhere. Becca's Mom and Grandma both went out of town. We had the entire day to ourselves. That was the most perfect Christmas, especially since this is the time of year when it feels like we never really get to spend any time alone.



13. Favorite Gift You Ever Gave
I'm just grateful on years when I can actually give presents. Spoiler alert: this year is not one of them.

14. Favorite Candy
I don't really have any Christmas-specific candy that I like. I really hate candy canes. My Dad usually puts some Hershey's Kisses in the stockings, though, and I do love those.

15. Favorite Christmas Website
I wouldn't even know to look at one.



16. Favorite Tradition You Used To Do
I used to enjoy when Jayne and I were a lot younger and Mom would put us in the car, put on one of those True-Value Christmas cassettes, and drive us around the neighborhood to look at the lights.

17. Favorite Part of Christmas Eve
Late, when it gets very dark and quiet here.

18. Favorite Part of Christmas Day
When it's all over.



19. How Early Do You Get Up on December 25th
Same time I get up every day, between 6 and 8. Maybe later if Becca doesn't wake me up and I've been up late the night before. When I was a little kid, I used to get up very early, too excited to sleep for long. I remember when I was 7 or 8 waking everyone up at 3 or 4 in the morning.

20. How Late Do You Stay Up on December 24th
Same as every night, 'til 11 or 12.

21. Favorite Christmas Picture
I like those Haddon Sundblom Santas.

22. Anticipation or the Day
Anticipation, I guess. I like the music and the TV specials and the lights. The day itself can be very trying.



23. Advent Calendar You're Doing
I am not. I should do one on this blog next year. Typically, it would just be daily pictures of sexy chicks.

24. Favorite Christmas Thing You're Doing/Done In School
I always liked having the vacation. Does that count?

25. What Did You Get? 26. What Did You Give?
I got nothing, I hope, since I can give nothing.



27. What Did You Feed Santa
28. What Did You Feed The Reindeer
When I was a kid, we did milk and cookies. Now I wonder if my Dad actually drank the milk or dumped it... Huh, I don't know if Dad likes milk or not. Anyhow, at some point my younger sisters started leaving carrots for the reindeer. We didn't do that when I was a kid.

29. Do You Believe In Santa
Well, of course. Well, not literally, but I love Santa Claus.

30. Are You Sad?
Christmas doesn't make me sad so much as it makes me tired.

31. Favorite Part of the Season?
The weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I really wish winter could just be contained to those four or five weeks. Afterward, I just want the snow gone and the temperature back up.

No comments: