Saturday, November 06, 2010

Do-It-Yourself Time Machine

There was an amazing confluence of events the other afternoon.

Becca got some Reggio's Pizza at the store. We'd never had it until recently, since it was on sale, and as it was coming out of the oven, I realized the smell was taking me straight back to 1984 and Showbiz Pizza. It really smelled like Showbiz Pizza to me. I don't know if it tasted the same--I can't remember the taste very well, and I used to load my pizza with Parmesan cheese, anyway--but the smell just somehow hit this memory pocket I'd lost. It was amazing.

Then, I drank a Mexican Pepsi while I was eating. It was a special one-off; I'm still not much into soda, and I don't want to get to the point of drinking it every day like I used to. Since Mexican Coke--and yes, it does taste better--has become tres trendy around here and is now being carried in every grocery store, Pepsi has apparently retaliated by getting some of its Mexican Pepsi up here, made with sugar and not corn slurry run-off. And it's great. It reminds me of why I loved soda so much in the first place, and how hard I have to work not to let it get me again. It tastes like Pepsi used to taste when I was a kid and my Dad used to buy it all the time. And in a glass bottle, which is automatically better.

So, pizza that smells like Showbiz, Pepsi the way it was when I was a kid, and we watched an episode of G.I. Joe. Not going to do this every day, but holy crap, that was a nice 30 minutes spent in my past.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'd totally forgotten about Showbiz Pizza!

It's nice when something can trigger memories like that. When I need a bit of home, I get a Home Run Inn Pizza at the grocery store or some frozen Skyline Chili.

Home = Chicago and Cincinnati.