Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Zack Snyder Directing Superman

I like it.

It's no secret that I loved 300 and Watchmen, and I like the idea of seeing a Superman film in the same style. It's got to be better than that Bryan Singer abomination, at least. I'm still not xazzed about Christopher Nolan overseeing the whole thing (haven't seen Inception, but I really don't like The Dark Knight), but I'm really curious to see what Snyder does with it.

I know a lot of bloggers are ranting today about this, but frankly, consider that it could be Robert Zemeckis or Tony fucking Scott making the new Superman movie. I wouldn't even bother to see that mess.

The only problem I have right now is the news that the villain in this movie is apparently going to be General Zod. I think that's a lame idea. One of the biggest problems I had with Superman Returns--other than the terrible casting and that it turned Superman into such a pussy--is how slavishly devoted it was to Richard Donner's 1978 classic. It had the same score, it had some of the same shots, it had Marlon Brando... it was, as I said at the time, as if Bryan Singer just wanted to take Donner's work and sign his name to it. So hearing that the sequel to that lesser carbon copy may just be a lesser carbon copy of Superman II is pretty depressing.

Come on, guys, crack a collection of Superman Archives, or something. There are so many other villains out there besides Lex Luthor or Zod that haven't been seen in a Superman movie. Use Brainiac or Bizarro or Darkseid or Metallo or Parasite or Livewire or, shit, even Toymaker. At this point, I'd rather the villain were Mr. Mxyzptlk than just watching a remake of Superman II, no matter who directs it.

Step it up, DC. Bad enough Marvel just wants to offer me movies that are nothing but set-up for The Avengers. Make something worth watching.

3 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I'll skip it just like I skipped the last one.

Devilham said...

I didn't hate the last one, but I understand where you are coming from on it. Darkseid would be pretty awesome though, if not a little over the top.

Kal said...

After reading the previous story arc in Superman with Zod and the planet of Kryptonians I have be wanting to see that storyline become the inspiration for an animated film or the next live action Superman movie.

That had Brainiac as the main villain and a general Zod that was not just a mustache twirling villian - in fact he was not even really a villian in the comic story - he was just a dick but a professional soldier doing what he thought was best for his people. I totally get why he would be annoyed with Kal-el so much. Kal gives his love and alliegence to humans and Zods zenophobia could never wrap his head around that.

Built up to the final battle between Braniac's robots and 100,000 Kryptonians it could be the greatest superhero movie ever.