Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.

THE CAPTAIN'S PARADISE (1953)
Alec Guinness as a ship captain who has one wife on both sides of his route: one in Gibraltar, one in North Africa. One, Celia Johnson, is the wife he relies on for a steady English home of routine, the other, Yvonne DeCarlo, is the wife he wants to be fun, vivacious, and full of the night life. He figures he has a genius set-up, but of course, you can't ask a woman to be happy with just one aspect of her personality, and eventually his set-up unravels. A funny character study with a surprising ending; not quite the equal of his Ealing comedies, but a great Guinness picture. ***1/2 stars.

LAST HOLIDAY (1950)
Alec Guinness as a farm equipment salesman who is told by his doctor he's going to die, so he cashes in his savings and goes off to a fancy hotel, determined that living his remaining days in posh comfort will bring him the happiness he's never known. A nice character study, but not one of Guinness' best films, I think. I really liked Kay Walsh as a sympathetic hotel employee, and it's always nice to see Ernest Thesiger turn up. *** stars.

BANDSLAM (2009)
Better than I thought it would be, honestly. A David Bowie fan moves to a new school that's caught up in a band competition, falls in love with Aly Michalka and Vanessa Hudgens (neither of which I blame him for), and becomes a band manager. What surprised me was both the sincerity of the film, and the complexity of its relationships. Though it has a predictable ending (which did, nonetheless, make me smile), it's surprisingly observant about teenage relationships and personal tragedy, and the way friendships can form. And it made a Bread song sound cool, which is seemingly an impossible feat. *** stars.

1 comment:

Kal said...

When I was a teen I would buy lots of albums. Everytime that I saw that 'Best of Bread' album, always asked myself how a group called 'BREAD' could have enough hit songs that I never heard of to have a greatest hits album. They may have been great but I just don't want to know.