Monday, October 11, 2010

A Brief Halloween Meme

I found this one going around Tumblr. Hopefully, I'll find a longer one closer to Halloween. I like to have a nice, long Halloween meme each year.

1. What is the worst treat to get when trick-or-treating?

I was never one of those kids who resented getting pennies or even toothpaste. I hated getting anything mint or Sugar Daddies or whatever the hell those things are in the black and orange wax paper.

2. What character from any horror film would you most like to play?

Willard. I just want to command the rats to do my bidding.

3. Would you rather be a zombie, alien, or psycho? (why)

An alien. Zombies are boring, psychos are predictable, but aliens at least get to travel in space.


4. How many Halloween, Friday the 13th, or Nightmare on Elm Street movies combined do you have on dvd?

None, actually. I wouldn't mind getting the Friday the 13th movies, because I finally saw them all last year and really enjoyed them. I had Halloween on VHS but have yet to get the DVD. I'd like to get the much-hated Rob Zombie version, too, which I actually dug.

5. What is the scariest movie you have ever seen?

Horror-movie wise, the ones that really scared me where the original Halloween, Phantasm, The Descent, Critters (I was 11 or something), and Poltergeist.

6. Lamest costume you have worn on Halloween?

I went as a wrestler of my own design one year. It was pretty lame. I think that was actually the last year I ever went.

7. Favorite Halloween treat?

Not necessarily a Halloween treat, but this is the time of year for my beloved pumpkin pie. What did I use to like to get when trick or treating? That crappy pink bubblegum, Tootsie Pops, Kit Kat, Reese's (Peanut Butter Cups or Pieces), Three Musketeers, and Pixie Stix.

8. Friendly-faced jack o’lantern or scary one?

Scary.

9. Have you ever had nightmares about a scary movie character chasing you?

When I was a kid, sure. These days, my dreams are all about mundane tasks or fucking rock stars. (Mostly 16 year-old Cherie Currie, these days.)

10. Best thing about Halloween?

Gosh, all of it. The costumes, the decorations, the blogs sharing stuff about Halloween. X-E Entertainment's Halloween Countdown. The increase of Hammer and Vincent Price movies on television. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Halloween episodes of sitcoms. Pumpkin pie. Halloween versions of cereal or Pop Tarts, because they're really fresh.

11. Strangest Halloween custom you’ve heard of?

I think never throwing my pumpkins away isn't necessarily strange, but very lazy. One time, I put my pumpkin out on the balcony, and didn't bring it in until the next Halloween. Just left it in the garden. And it didn't rot too badly for, like, eight months because it was so damn thick. The squirrels and birds ate it over the winter, so I didn't feel too bad.

12. Person in your family who most likes Halloween (not counting yourself)?

My wife. I don't think my Mom likes it as much as I do anymore, because she doesn't get trick or treaters where she lives. My Aunt Theresa, maybe, because it's her birthday.

13. Are you superstitious? If so, name at least one superstition of yours.

In the back of my mind, I am. I know it's stupid, but then there's that part of me that won't walk under a ladder...

2 comments:

Wings said...

Fun meme! And you should march yourself out (or at least click over to Amazon) and get Carpenter's original Halloween on DVD. Well? Get moving!

The Frog Queen said...

Cool, always enjoy hearing about how others view/remember Halloween.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Cheers!