Monday, October 11, 2010

Banksy Directing The Simpsons

I guess it was kind of a big deal for some people that street artist Banksy "directed" the intro to The Simpsons last night. Personally, I thought it was pretty stupid. He was trying to make a provocative point about Fox's treatment of the animators, but it doesn't really make your point if you do it by forcing the same animators to work. You know what I mean? You can't protest something by doing it yourself. You just can't. It's not putting anything on the line.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. Even if I were willing to concede that defacing private property were an art form--and as I get older and crankier, I'm not sure I am--I still don't get the whole Banksy phenomenon.

2 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I like Banksy's political street art but the opening of The Simpson's, meh.

Tallulah Morehead said...

Having never heard of "Banksy," I wondered why the hell was that meaning-free word splattered all over The Simpson's opening sequence last night. Thanks for enlightening me.

Hmm. Had to splatter his/her name all over? No one else who has "directed" (by which I take to mean "written") the opening sequence has seen a need to trumpet their name around like that. Quite an ego at work there.

The irony that the Asian animators would have to animate this sequence mocking them as oppressed struck me at the time too. Now it seems the jealousy of a "street artist" (aka, public vandalizer) towards artists with paying work. Not as glamorous as vandalizing public buildings and spaces, but their bills get paid, their family gets food and shoes, and their self gets respect.