Friday, May 28, 2010

Um, No Thanks

I saw an extended commercial last night for The Actually-It's-Kung Fu-and-Not-Karate Kid last night. In the scene they were showing, Jackie Chan, as Mr. Miyagi (or whatever they're calling him in this) is doing a whole "wax on, wax off" thing with the repellent Jaden Smith in an alley. Except he's shown him--and am I the only one who thinks this is lame?--that he's learning the fundamentals of kung fu just by taking his jacket on and off. He's telling the kid "jacket on, jacket off," and this teaches the kid how to wrist block or something.

Now... I love Jackie Chan. I really love the guy. But I think I'm going to skip this one. It looks bad on so many levels, but the final straw is this scene. I love Jackie Chan so much that I'm going to opt out of the movie where he's screaming "jack it off" to Will Smith's kid in an alleyway.

5 comments:

Richard said...

It regards to jacket on, jacket off thing it is really no more or less valid the the wax on, wax off used in the original movie. It is nothing more that a Hollywood version of some of the methods used in martial arts to teach muscle memory. The actual, and much more effective, ways to teach this are about as exciting as watching paint dry. I think the way it was done in the original will be a bit better but IMHO this had to be put int this movie in one form or another.

James said...

I think that if they were going to do a remake, moving the martial art origin from Japan to China and changing the style from Karate to Kung Fu, they should have gone all out and made Mr. Miagi into Mr. Miagimen, a former Israeli Mossad that teaches young Daniel the mysterious ways of Krav Maga.

The film would last approximately 10 minutes because the bullies would be fucking DEAD.

Me said...

i thought it was lame too about the kung fu, not karate thing until i heard that the kid claims to 'know karate' and get his ass kicked. the other boys call him the karate kid as a form of derision... that's not a bad solve i thought...
did you see 'dragons yet?

Autumn said...

I actually went and saw a screening of this and loved it. I went with the thought that we would all make fun of it, but after we left the theater we were all really quiet for a bit...then my roommate said "Hey, that was kind of..really good...right?" And we all had to agree. I'd give it a shot, it's nothing like the old one but it gives it a few nods and was a good movie all on it's own. And so so very feelgood.

Johnny Rojo said...

I saw a preview at work last night. Oh my god-- I didn't think that they could make a more unnecessary and bad remake of something worse than The A-Team. But they did.