Friday, April 16, 2010

Trek Meme

Yes, it's a second meme today, but I saw this one and decided there was no way I couldn't do it.

1. What is your favorite Star Trek movie? (not including STXI)?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, of course. It's the best Trek movie that will ever be.

2. What is your favorite scene in STXI?
I especially liked the scene where Scotty beams aboard inside a water pipe, for several reasons: first, because it was funny, and there's not a lot of physical humor in Star Trek (frankly, sometimes Trek can be pompous); second, because part of the genius of STXI is that it looks at space travel and exploration as dangerous and exciting and uncertain; and third, because it's so boring when everything goes perfectly on the Enterprise.

3. When were you first introduced to the Star Trek franchise?
When I was 10 years old, in 1986. It was my Mom's favorite show ever, and I think it used to be on Sunday afternoons in reruns on the local WFLD-TV (now the Fox affiliate). The first episode I ever saw was "Amok Time." How could I not be immediately hooked by "Amok Time"? After that, we started renting episodes at the video store, I started reading books about the series, and I caught up on the movies. There were only three at the time!

4. Is there anything Star Trek around the room in which you're currently sitting?
My DVDs are in the other room, but my soundtracks are out here. Becca made a mosaic of Trek pictures that's hanging up, too. They're all from the original series.

5. Vulcan ears are: A) cute, B) sexy, C) neither, D) both.
D. Both.

I rest my case.

6. If you could be any other species than human in the Star Trek universe, you would be:
Andorian. Not sure why. I just dig the blue skin, and I figured Vulcans are the obvious answer, because they're fascinating.

7. Which pet would you rather have: a sehlat or a tribble?
Sehlat, all the way. I just want to see one in a Star Trek movie!

8. Who might you cast in the role of reboot Nurse Chapel? Khan? Other reboot character?
I really don't want to see them do Khan; Ricardo Montalban was so definitive, but more than that, it would just be a retread to start rehashing old plots. They had to do an entire movie just to establish that the new series takes place in a different, alternate universe just so that they could remake the damn thing: time to nut up and just make your own movie now.

And come on, Kristen Bell should play Nurse Chapel.

9. Kirk and Spock are:
There's a deep love there. Maybe not in a romantic way, to me, but still, there's love.

10. If you could give any Star Trek character a chance to be captain of the Enterprise, who would it be?
I would've said Sulu, but they gave him the Excelsior many, many years ago. And, technically, Spock's already been a captain of the Enterprise. I could see the new Uhura in command, though.

BONUS. Think fast! Give one Star Trek quote from memory.
My two immediate favorites--which always make me emotional--are both from Spock: "I have been, and always will be, your friend." and "Jim. Your name... is Jim."

4 comments:

Mr. Arkadin said...

Οk. Who's the vulcan girl? Seriously. Who is she? I think I'm in love

Tallulah Morehead said...

I'm going to answere question 3. When were you first introduced to the Star Trek franchise?

First off, I can give you the exact date: September 16th, 1966, the day after Star Trek broadcast its second episode ever. A friend of mine at the high school where I was going asked me if I'd seen Star Trek the night before. I said: "The new show with the guy with pointed ears? No. It looks stupid. Pointed ears? Please."

My friend said, "That's what I thought, but I watched it last night, and it was great." Then he described the plot, which was Charlie X with Robert Walker Jr. The plot reminded me a lot of Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land which at that time, was my favorite book. Also I respected this person (more on him in a moment), so the next week I tuned in and saw the third broadcast episode, which was the second pilot episode: Where No Man Has Gone Before, which I thought was bloody brilliant, and a billion times better than any sci-fi I'd ever seen on TV before, and that was it, I was hooked. I saw almost every episode first-run.

This friend's name was David Stipes. He wanted to grow up (in the legal sense. he was already, in 1966, at the age of 17, six foot three) to be Ray Harryhausen, and his garage was full of model dinosaurs on armatures he'd made, which he animated frame-by-frame on his 16 millimeter cameras. He was already working on an effects film being made by a group of teenagers. He took me over to the home of the 19 year old who was directing it and doing most of the animation for the monsters. The movie ended up being called EQUINOX (It's available frm Critereon), and the 19 year old he introduced me to was Dennis Muren, who now has 9 Oscars for special effects on Star Wars films, Indiana Jones films, and Juarassic Park. Jim Danforth had hidden a very valuable relic with Dennis at that time, a relic currently in the possession of Bob Burns. It was at Dennis's home that day, and I got to hold it and play with it. It was none other than the only surviving armature of the original King Kong!!! To this day, Kong is still the biggest star I have ever met.

David Stipes went on to be an actual special effects artist. He was in charge of the effects for the original V series, for the TV series of The Flash, for the movie Creepshow, and late in the run, he joined the effects team on Star Trek: The Next Generation. When he left Next Generation, it was to go to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Then he was on the start-up effects team for Star Trek: Voyager, and is one of the men who designed the starship Voyager.

Over the years I had the pleasure to meet, one by one, all the members of the original Star Trek regular cast. I once made Gene Roddenberry laugh so hard I thought he was going to explode. I got to visit the Enterprise itself when I visited the sets for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and one of my most prized possesions is a complete set of the special effects storyboards for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, every effect shot for the whole film laid out, given to me by the artist who did them, the late effects designer Michael Minor, who was a very good friend of mine for many years.

David and I are still good friends. Frog, if you go to my Facebook page you'll find David in my friends list. Go to his page and thumb through his photo albums. You will love much of what you will find there.

For all of that, I still prefer Doctor Who to Star Trek. It's so much less pompous.

Will o'the Glen said...

The Vulcan Trekkie chick can't figure out how to use the timer on her digital camera, she has to take her picture in the mirror like some MySpace bimbette? Sheesh!

Diana said...

Favorite movie - The Voyage Home (it's the girly girl part of me.).

Favorite scene in STXI - The bar scene, when Kirk got in to a major fight with some major cadets.

First introduced to Star Trek - I remember watching TNG when I was 5 with my dad.

Is there anything Star Trek around the room? - books, the DVDs are in the living room.

Vulcan ears are - D. Both.

If you could be any other species - I'd be Trillian, I dig the spots.

Which pet would you rather have – Sehlat, it’s just a big cuddly teddy bear on the inside.

Who might you cast in the role of reboot Nurse Chaple - Humm... Mena Suvari, or maybe Charlize Theron? Who might you cast in the role of reboot Kahn - Javier Bardem.

Kirk and Spock are - Hetero life partners.

If you could give any ST character a chance to be captain of the Enterprise - Uhura would totally get my vote.

Quote: "This could be a pre-destination paradox... I could be destined to fall in love with that woman and become my own great-grandfather." Dr. Bashir DS9 Trials and Tribble-ations