Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The End of the Year Meme

I found this on a Tumblr blog I follow.

1.What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Went to therapy. Got married.

2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Every year the memes ask this, and every year I roll my eyes. I believe in changing habits and behavior, but not in the silly, arbitrary idea of "new year's resolutions." It's just setting you up to feel like a failure when whatever you want to start or stop doing is harder than you thought. Life is a process, not a series of endings and beginnings.

3.Did anyone close to you give birth?
No.

4.Did anyone close to you die?
No, thankfully.

5.What countries did you visit?
None.

6.What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Better direction in my life. To be able to find a clearer path to some sort of security. More will power to exercise.

7.What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
HA! Well, I did get married this year, but Becca and I can't remember the date. But we did it.

8.What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Admitting that I need professional help with my anxiety and depression.

9. What was your biggest failure?
My weight.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major. I don't get sick anymore, and I didn't hurt myself too terribly.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Those LEGO video games. Hours and hours and hours of fun.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Not mine, I'm sure. I'm pretty pleased that the people in charge of the Muppets have gotten their asses in gear and are returning the Muppets to their proper place in pop culture.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Did you read my stuff about Obama this morning? There you go.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, bills, food, bills, debt, bills.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Muppets. Having genuine health reform. Well, they don't all work out.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Anything by the Jonas Brothers. This is the year my wife got mad into them.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier, I think. Sorting it out.
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter, but getting thinner.
c) richer or poorer? Poorer, sadly.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Working. So much competition this year!

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Not working! And grinding my teeth.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent it at home quietly. The weather was too lousy for me to drive anywhere with my lousy tires, and Becca's poor mom lost power because of the snow. So we stayed here.

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
I'm always in love with my wife.

22. How many one-night stands?
5. No, just kidding. Just the one. No, really, none.

23. What was your favorite TV program?
There were lots of them, but especially The Venture Bros, Modern Family, the second half of last season of The Office, Lost as it turns out, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Eastbound and Down, Phineas and Ferb, How I Met Your Mother, Doctor Who...

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Again, Obama's pissing me off. But he doesn't inspire hate in me. Just disappointment.

25. What was the best book you read?
The biggest literary treat this year was re-reading the five (plus one) books in the Prydain Chronicles. I'm so glad I did that. Loved them just as much as I did when I was a child, if not more. I also loved Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street and Fight Club.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Owl City. And it turns out I dig Cobra Starship.

27. What did you want and get?
More Muppets. Watchmen on DVD.

28. What did you want and not get?
New tires.

29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Inglourious Basterds

30. What did you do on your birthday?
We went to see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A better job with real money coming in.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Same as always: jeans and tee shirts.

33. What kept you sane?
Therapy? Ha. Becca. Muppets--you laugh, but it's true. Lexapro. Blogging. Tumblr. Video games, which used to have the opposite effect.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
My darling Kristen Bell.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Health reform.

36. Who did you miss?
My sisters. One passed away, one lives in Australia, and one I don't see often enough.

37. Who was the best new person you met?
All my Tumblr neighbors and fellow bloggers.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:
Admitting you need help is not failing at life.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"And children don't grow up; our bodies get bigger but our hearts get torn up."

4 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Hmm. Found a variation of this which I'm posting tomorrow. I like yours better, but I'm too tired to change it.

Wings said...

I hear you on some of these! And I am happy to see The Muppets back, as well!

Gonna do this myself, thanks!

Happy 2010!

Megan said...

I started to work on this one, but I got scared when so many of my answers appeared to be exactly or nearly the same as last year.

Bravo #8. That is truly a great achievement. Looking forward to another year of Frogginess!

Wings said...

I did it, too!

Caffeinated Joe