Saturday, November 08, 2008

The Alphabet Meme

I got tagged by Adam at Movie Chunks with this meme, begun by one Fletch at Blog Cabins. You name one movie for every letter of the alphabet.

Here are the rules:

1. Pick one film to represent each letter of the alphabet.

2. The letter "A" and the word "The" do not count as the beginning of a film's title, unless the film is simply titled A or The, and I don't know of any films with those titles.

3. Return of the Jedi belongs under "R," not "S" as in Star Wars Episode IV: Return of the Jedi. This rule applies to all films in the original Star Wars trilogy; all that followed start with "S." Similarly, Raiders of the Lost Ark belongs under "R," not "I" as in Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. Conversely, all films in the LOTR series belong under "L" and all films in the Chronicles of Narnia series belong under "C," as that's what those filmmakers called their films from the start. In other words, movies are stuck with the titles their owners gave them at the time of their theatrical release. Use your better judgement to apply the above rule to any series/films not mentioned.

4. Films that start with a number are filed under the first letter of their number's word. 12 Monkeys would be filed under "T."

5. Link back to Blog Cabins in your post so that I can eventually type "alphabet meme" into Google and come up #1, then make a post where I declare that I am the King of Google.

6. If you're selected, you have to then select 5 more people.

Righty-O. These are the first movies that popped into my head for each letter.

Age of Consent

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

Conan the Barbarian

The Dark Crystal

Even Dwarfs Started Small

F for Fake

Gremlins

Hell in the Pacific

Inherit the Wind

Jason and the Argonauts

King Kong

The Long Good Friday

Mountains of the Moon

Notorious

One, Two, Three

Pinocchio

Quills

Return to Oz

Spartacus

The Time Machine

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

Vixen

Watership Down

Xanadu

Yojimbo

Zero Effect

And for the tagging part of tonight's journey:

PJ @ The Urban Recluse
He, Splotchy @ I, Splotchy
Mayren @ Mayren Abashed
Tom the Dog @ Tom the Dog's You Know What I Like?
Bubs @ Sprawling Ramshackle Compound

4 comments:

Tallulah Morehead said...

I added an additional rule; the films all had to star ME! After all, movies with other people are so much less interesting. My filmography is documented in my autobiography, MY LUSH LIFE.

A. Abbott & Costello Meet She Who Must Be Obeyed (1955)
B. Bride of the Blob (1958)
C. Caligulee Caligula (1960)
D. The Devil Wore Ermine (1940)
E. East vs West (1939)
F. Fu Manchu's Blessed Event (1934)
G. The Godawful Truth (1930)
H. Heat Crazed! (1915 - Silent, 1932 - Sound remake)
I. It Sounds Like Music (1965)
J. Jurassic Tart (1969)
K. Killjoy. (1952)
L. The Lady Steve (1942)
M. The Mailman Always Comes Twice. (1941)
N. The Naked Nudist (1931)
O. An Ordeal to Remember (1947)
P. Privates on Display (1942)
Q. Queer Longings (1945)
R. The Road to Hell (1947, with Hope & Crosby)
S. Seven Brides for Seven Dwarfs (1939)
T. Torah, Torah, Torah (1960)
U. Under a Big Top (1958)
V. Virgins of Krakatoa (1936)
W. When Dinosaurs Ruled the Block (1967)
X. Xenophobia! (1948 - Hitchcock)
Y. Yellow Streak (1949)
Z. Zanadu (1941)

Bubs said...

Splendid list. I just started on mine, and I'll have my response up later Sunday after I get home from my cheese making class.

PJ said...

Thanks for the tag, I'd been thinking about stealing it from J.D.'s blog, but now I have a legitimate right to the meme, which is always nice.

SamuraiFrog said...

Ms. Morehead: Impressive. Boy, would I love to see The Naked Nudist.

Bubs: Cool.

PJ: I know, I was going to steal it from JD, too, but I got tagged.