Thursday, July 24, 2008

80s Revisited: Earth Girls Are Easy

Earth Girls Are Easy (1988)
Directed by Julien Temple; written by Julie Brown & Charlie Coffey & Terrence E. McNally; produced by Tony Garnett.

I'm not really enthused about this one, I've got to admit. I saw the movie when I was 12 or so (in the theater of all places), and I thought it was silly and it did a lot for my rampant hormones (Geena Davis in a bikini alone almost made for an embarrassing situation), but I never really thought of it very much after. Other than the bikini, the real lasting impression it made on me was Julie Brown, who I loved watching on MTV and even on Comedy Central's low-rated Strip Mall (I guess it didn't have the same audience potential as a shitty comedian hosting a Gong Show revival). It broke my heart a little to see Julie relegated to some crappy throwaway role on the recent Disney Channel abortion Camp Rock.

So, Jeff Goldblum, Jim Carrey and Damon Wayans play horny aliens who crash in Geena Davis's pool and learn all about California culture and help Geena Davis deal with being cheated on by Charles Rocket. That's pretty much it, and I have to admit that satire of the California culture never really does much for me. I loved the opening credits; they were like a cross between Forbidden Zone and Heavy Metal. The rest of the movie doesn't quite live up to the tone.

I don't really know where to go with this, I admit. I think it's because although I didn't think the movie was bad, I also didn't really think it was good. It had funny moments and sexy broads and aliens and Julie fucking Brown singing "'Cause I'm a Blonde," which surely has to be one of my favorite moments in cinema history. But otherwise... well, there it is. It's just sort of there, and if I weren't in a perpetual state of horniness and Geena hadn't been in a bikini, I doubt I'd really remember it. There's nothing you can really say about it. Or, more accurately, nothing I can say.

Except for Julie Brown. I love you, Julie! Come back to me!

Next time: again, I think Mannequin is next. Not sure I'm looking forward to that.

4 comments:

Lockwood said...

Funny, I just mentioned that movie and that particular Julie Brown song to someone yesterday. I don't remember the trigger, but suddenly the words "I can't spell VW, but I got a Porsche, because I'm blonde. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!" came out of my mouth. Then I had to explain.

Guess I liked it better than you, but it has been many a year. And there's a lot of the movie I don't recall. But I do recall JB's songs, great stuff.

SamuraiFrog said...

Julie Brown is easily the best part.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Julie is great isn't she.

mwb said...

It's amazing how awesome Julie is, yet she's never had a good vehicle in the movies - even when she does it herself.

Such a shame.