Thursday, July 05, 2007

The Main Man

Clancy Brown is the Man. He just is. In fact, in my home he's known as the Main Man. I've been a fan of the Man's for many a year. So long that I can't even remember at what point I suddenly declared to the universe "I fucking love Clancy fucking Brown! He's the Main Man!"

You know Clancy Brown, whether you realize it or not. You might now him from his first role, as tough kid Viking Lofgren in Bad Boys (the one with Sean Penn that was actually good, not the shitty Michael Bay movie). He appeared as Rawhide (complete with death scene) in The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension and rocked the shit out of the role of Frankenstein's creature in the very underrated The Bride (with one of my all-time favorites, David Rappaport) before appearing as the Kurgan in one of the awesomest movies in history: Highlander.

Surely an iconic genre role: from the stern Medieval commander to the crazy licking people's hands in a church. "I'm Candy." "Of course you are..."

Extreme Prejudice. Shoot to Kill. Blue Steel--an actual role as one of the good guys; he dies, but at least he gets to have somewhat graphic sex with Jamie Lee Curtis before he bites it. Cast a Deadly Spell. Past Midnight alongside Rutger motherfucking Hauer! You want iconic? Captain Hadley in The Shawshank Redemption, one of his best roles (and he plays it as unapologetically as only he can).

Career Sgt. Zim in Starship Troopers. One of the best DI's I've ever seen on film, in a movie I love. Tough as nails, and ready to break your arm just to prove a point.

That gruff, deep, unique voice has led to a lot of voice acting roles. Seriously, he's in a ton of stuff. Especially Disney, including the recent American dub of Pom Poko, Gargoyles, The Mighty Ducks, Recess, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, The Little Mermaid II, American Dragon: Jake Long, Kim Possible, many others. He's all over animation -- Rayden in Mortal Kombat, Lex Luthor in Superman and Justice League, Mr. Freeze in The Batman, The Life and Times of Juniper Lee, Jackie Chan Adventures, Mr. Krabs on Spongebob Squarepants--and he's all over the video game scene.

You want TV credits? Oh, he is there. The Dukes of Hazzard, China Beach, Earth 2, ER, The Practice, Enterprise, right up to one of his best roles, as the multilayered villain Brother Justin Crowe on HBO's Carnivale.

Hell, you've even seen him on Lost.

Yep, Clancy Brown is the Main Man, alright. So, as part of Splotchy's Adopt-an-Actor campaign, I'm pleased and proud to say that my adoptee is:

13 comments:

Johnny Yen said...

Great choice!

For years, I thought that he and Cole Hauser were the same guy.

In Shoot To Kill, I loved how they set you up to think that another great character actor/frequent villian Andrew Robinson is the killer.

Splotchy said...

Congratumotherfuckinlations!

I love Clancy Brown.

A month or so I stumbled across his official site. He's not only a great actor, but he comes across as a really warm, heartfelt kinda guy.

Excellent choice.

Todd said...

I liked him in Earth 2.

Peter Lynn said...

I still think he looks like a big mean Jon Stewart.

SamuraiFrog said...

Johnny: That was good. Oh, man, Cole Hauser. I forgot about him! Like one does, I suppose...

Splotchy: He does seem like a good guy.

Todd: I never saw that show when it was on.

Peter: Only more entertaining to watch.

MC said...

I am still looking into which character actor to adopt.... because I want in.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Woo hooo!!!! Another underrated actor goes to a great home! Way to go my man.

bonjourtristesse said...

Hi A.!!! LOVE HIM!!

Wasn't he the crooked screw in Shawshank Redemption?

He is so super awesome, and now I know his name thanks to YOU!!

I think he did a Swanson's Hungry Man dinner commercial...am I right???or just CRAZY????

SamuraiFrog said...

MC: Get in while the gettin's good, they seem to be moving fast.

Dr. Monkey: It was the least I could do considering how many hours of enjoyment he's given me.

Bonnie: He's pretty fucking awesome. That is him in Shawshank. Swanson's? Stranger things have happened.

Anonymous said...

he's "mr Crabs" in spongebob for f- sakes!!!!

SamuraiFrog said...

Yes...?

J.R. said...

I know this is a freaken old post but...

A couple years ago while I was in a treatment center for addiction and alcoholism they showed an educational film on the types of people you might meet in rehab...It was from the early 70's and Clancy Brown was in it, he plaid "The Dude too cool for rehab" he wore a knit cap and carried an acoustic guitar everywhere.

I would hazard a guess that it may be his first filmed role.

SamuraiFrog said...

That sounds awesome. (Clancy Brown, not that you were in rehab.) That must be his first role if we're going that far back.